Convention Wrapup

[click here] for a summary of the 76th General Convention

From a youth perspective...Sara Winston

Coming from a mixed-faith family and having no prior knowledge of issues within the Episcopalian community, I was left to make a first impression based on my own Christian upbringing, separate from the Episcopalian denomination. My first impression of the convention was one of overwhelming measures. The day was spent listening to issues that have existed within the church much longer than my surface involvement. I heard many specific issues discussed between the committee members while observing the reaction of the rest of the guests in the room, simultaneously trying to understand my own personal reaction.

This description is pretty consistent for each of the AM events of the July 11th day. Listening to proposals, resolutions and decisions made on issues relevant to the progression of the church which have never entered my mind in regard to the Episcopalian congregation and its “broad intent of inclusion”.

Sara Winston is a rising junior at Corcoran College of Art + Design in Washington DC, majoring in fine art photography. A native of New York, she is a friend of Christopher Cunningham. Baptized as an infant in the Lutheran Church, she is currently exploring her faith.

0 comments: